Andy von Dohren
Papillion, Nebraska | 402.321-5721 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Detail-oriented individual, looking for a new opportunity to scale past experiences in order to deliver a positive impact.
WP Engine Austin, TX
Senior Engineering Manager, Platform October 2022-present– Developed a prioritization strategy to ensure team delivered most impactful work.
– Pushed team members to take on new challenges while providing support to help them overcome their insecurities.
– Incorporated Google Cloud Platform billing metrics to generate monthly roll-up usage reports.
– Identify usage anomalies that require intervention to ensure expenditures align with projections.
– Improved security practices to ensure vulnerabilities are addressed in a timely manner.
– Provided knowledge and feedback to leadership to develop project roadmaps.
– Lead decommissioning of .htaccess support across the platform. Providing a critical path forward to modernizing our platform.
Engineering Manager, Platform April 2021-September 2022
– Lead the maturation of the Flywheel Cloud Platform through prioritizing cleanup of tech debt and automation of maintenance activities.
– Took on the leadership responsibilities of a second team with the organization. Taking on an additional 6 engineers and expanding my impact within the organization.
– Participated in division-wide planning sessions to shape the future of the platform within the organization.
– Kept leaders up to date with project statuses and helped them understand technical trade offs and their impact.
Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Platform October 2019-March 2021
– Designed and built our next-generation WordPress platform built on Kubernetes.
– Identified and mitigated issues with operating at scale in a distributed environment.
– Developed a fully “hands off” process to deploy WordPress infrastructure resources like MySQL databases, filesystems, network routing, and caching automatically.
– Collaborated with product owners to develop future direction and roadmaps.
– Provided leadership to our department throughout the acquisition and integration process in 2020 and beyond.
– Mentored teammates through informal processes to elevate their presence within the organization.
– Worked with our Technical Account Manager at Google to test early access releases of their products.
– Executed a year-long strategy that lowered our hosting costs by 50% compared to the previous year.
– Developed an automated workflow capable of scaling resources for websites based on live usage metrics.
– Completed a zero-downtime Kubernetes infrastructure realignment project. Resulted in savings of $30,000/mo without impacting customers.
Flywheel (acquired by WP Engine, June 2019) Omaha, Nebraska
Senior Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails October 2018-October 2019
– Ruby on Rails engineer responsible for rolling out automated support tooling.
– Worked with a cross-functional team to automate migration of customer websites from our “classic” platform to our next-generation Kubernetes platform.
Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails June 2014-September 2018
– Joined as eighth employee
– Implemented many customer facing features:
– Site snapshot feature that made it easy for customers to clone websites.
– Automated a previously manual PHP log export process so customers could view logs in near real time.
– Lead implementation of Organizations feature that allowed groups of people to share access to their websites.
– Championed “Beer Cheer” Hack Day Project that let customers send our support team a beer.
– Worked on our billing system to automate and expand our billing capabilities.
Mutual of Omaha Omaha, Nebraska
IS Security Analyst, System Administrator May 2008–February 2014
– Architect and administer enterprise LDAP systems and infrastructure.
– Leverage LDAP to facilitate UNIX authentication and authorization management.
– Analyze data to identify anomalies and gather usage metrics.
– Identify and document new requirements.
– Promote good information security habits.
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Omaha, Nebraska — Graduated May 2008
B.S., Computer Science
B.S., Management Information Systems
Omaha Code School
Omaha, Nebraska — Graduated May 2014
Ruby on Rails Web Development Bootcamp
Platforms: Kubernetes, Containerization, Cloud Functions, Pub/Sub, MySQL, Heroku, Jira